Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Grand entrance...

I've had a few days, but I wanted to get this written before details became fuzzy.

Welcoming my daughter into this world at 34 weeks has been an emotional roller coaster. Nothing went as planned but somehow I have this beautiful, feisty little thing down in NICU who has completed half the battle just by being here. She did great and I think it's taken way more of a toll on me than she will ever know.

I honestly can't remember exactly what I wrote in my last update, but Friday morning (January 10th), I had my amnioreduction done. It was long and uncomfortable and they took 2 1/2 liters of fluid from around the baby. It was great, I felt so much better afterwards and the baby seemed to be doing well. We were waiting on results from my 24 hr urine to see if I had pre-eclampsia and if I did, they would transfer me to Atlanta because I would need to deliver.

Well, Miss Georgiana had other plans. A little before 1 o'clock, I went to the bathroom and got back in bed. The nurse who was keeping an eye out on me while my nurse was at lunch came in to put me back on the monitor and the baby's heart rate started dipping dangerously low. They stayed a few minutes to keep an eye out and the next thing I know, I've got oxygen on and there are about 10 nurses in the room all doing something different. They whisked me away for an emergency csection within minutes because priority was getting the baby out! I remember the anesthesiologist asking a bunch of questions before he put me to sleep within minutes. The next thing I know, I'm waking up and someone is telling me I had a girl. They tried to get me to look at her but I guess I wasn't awake enough yet because I opened my eyes again and she was gone. Talk about making an entrance...

It was several hours before I got to see her and they just brought her in on her way to be transported to Atlanta for her surgery at the children's hospital. I got to see her for just a few minutes. She was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I never knew my heart could feel this much love for someone so tiny. She was 3lbs, 8oz & 17 inches of feisty and they wheeled her away.

Justin went with her to Atlanta and surgery was done the next morning. When they got in there, what was diagnosed before as duodenal atresia turned out to be that her intestines wrapped around her pancreas but the solution was basically the same. She came through surgery great. Sunday, the doctors released me to come see her and that's when the toll of the separation really hit me. It is very hard to leave her in the NICU every night. I just want to take her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment