Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Busy being a NICU Mom

Georgiana is 18 days old today. She has come so far in these last two and a half weeks.

When I first got to hold her at 4 days old she was so tiny...now her arms and legs and face have filled out a bit. I'm probably biased but I think she's the cutest little girl ever.

Her recovery has been going great. When she was 9 days old, they took that awful suction tube out and she didn't require oxygen so they placed  an NG tube and she started getting continuous feeds at 1 tiny ML/hr. She even had her first poop which meant everything was working.

Lots of firsts happened. Justin changed his first poopy diaper. I gave her a bath...my first time but not hers. I got to do skin to skin or kangaroo her. They also worked her feedings up and yesterday she was at 11ML/hr and she was given her first bottle. YAY!!!! She did so great with it and drained it dry. Now they're going to work with her every day on taking bottles so we can be ready to go home.

Justin and I are in the unit with her every day...sometimes all day. I've been pumping milk for her so she's been on my breast milk since she started feeds but my supply isn't increasing so we hit the bottom of my supply last night and now she's going to also be supplemented with formula which is sad for me because my body's just not doing what it needs to yet again. I pump every few hours 'round the clock and only get enough for a few feeds. I'm hoping I will do better if they let her try to nurse directly but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment